Wednesday 7 December 2011

A squash collection


Whilst watching a Shrek movie the other night, I was reminded of the fact that Cinderella went to the ball in what was basically a pimped up pumpkin. What with all the associations with pumpkins and Halloween, I had forgotten that my first memory of a pumpkin was through a pretty fairy tale and not ghouls and ghosts. I wonder why the modern version of this story features a pumpkin and not a Hubbard squash or a turban squash, which are both equally as beautiful as a pumpkin? I'm a late discoverer of squash as a food, only having experience with butternut in the UK. Since coming to Canada and discovering farmers' markets, I now have a much broader knowledge of these vegetables.



Soup made from any of the squashes is a good bet. Usually quite sweet and earthy, they are perfect for blending and become silky and smooth. A squash soup is one of the only vegetable soups I consider to be substantial enough to be a main course on it's own. Maybe it's the chunky nature of the squash itself, it's heaviness seeming to proclaim it's satisfying qualities.


See what I mean. It's a fairly impressive and hefty looking thing. This is a green Hubbard squash, the flesh inside the colour of molten gold.


Butternut squash has a particularly sweet and rich taste with just enough earthiness to make it interesting. Beloved for soups, I once ate one at a very smart restaurant and asked for the recipe. "Just squash" I was told, no onion, garlic, spices or seasonings. I can believe it. Sometimes, though, it's exciting to add a few extras and see where it takes you.



Spaghetti squash seems to be a bit of a rebel. The strange habit is has of producing long, spaghetti like strands when cooked is unique to this variety, (as far as I can tell). For this reason, it is sometimes suggested as a substitute for spaghetti. I tried it once, making a carbonara. Instead of a delightful playful alternative to the wheat variety, I got a sticky, wet mess. In my opinion, this squash is best eaten as is, with some butter and black pepper and maybe a little cheese sprinkled over.

Squash varieties and recipe ideas
There are so many different types of squash available, especially in Autumn, I decided to photograph as many as possible and try to identify them. Some I have cooked and so can comment on the taste and provide recipes (at the bottom). Others may be familiar in name but still a complete mystery as far as their culinary qualities are concerned. As I try different recipes and cooking techniques over the next little while, I will update the post.



Kobocha squash. Also known as Japanese pumpkin. I used this in a salad, (recipe at bottom). It was extremely sweet, silky and soft with a chestnut like flavour.


Gold nugget squash. Beautifully embossed but no other information yet.


The farm market where many, many different kinds of squash can be found. Places like these are worth the 20 minute drive, not just for the hustle and bustle of people, or the free pieces of boiled corn given out in early Autumn, but also for the fact that you know your produce was pulled out of the ground or plucked off a plant that morning. Often, the tell tale dirt is still clinging on.



White acorn squash. Recipe at bottom of post

Ambercup squash. This is the squash most often mistaken for pumpkin. It has a bright orange flesh and sweet taste. Recipe at bottom of post.

Hubbard squash
Very large squash, about 2 foot across and heavy.  I would really like to try this intriguing variety, but they are just too big for home cooking. They last up to 6 months, however, so I may try and find a smaller specimen.

Spaghetti squash. Recipe at bottom of post

Acorn squash

Banana squash



One of the most popular of all squashes. Mainly used for soups. Recipe at bottom

Grey Hubbard squash

Recipes using squash
Click on each image to be taken to the recipe



Thai Mussaman curry with white acorn squash

Gnocchi made with ambercup squash


Acorn squash and beet soup

Butternut squash and bell pepper soup


Stuffed spaghetti squash

Ambercup squash and persimmon cheesecake
Spaghetti squash with beans

Autumn salad with Kobocha squash


Ambercup squash and leek quiche





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely photography and some very rustic shots there too. Nice to know what all those different squashes are as well.

Delyth said...

Thankyou! I still have three large squash sitting in my kitchen. I've heard they can last for quite a while - I hope so!

Roshni said...

I love the pics... and the recipes... looking forward to trying some of them out... Using squash in curries are also really tasty...

Chelle said...

Great ideas for how to use the squash, I love how the clours reflect the seasons. Do you know how long they last for exactly, I heard that you could keep pumpkin for 3 months?