Thursday 4 November 2010

Food carts part 4

Arturo's Mexican to go
Location: Cordova & Howe
Hours: Monday - Saturday 10.30am - 5.30pm

 So, more food cart goodness to share and these two are whoppers!
First up, a brand new cart, one that everyone has been waiting for with anticipation, Burritos! The true street food for cart aficionados. There were so many mutterings and disgruntled patrons when the whole cart line up was announced. "But there's no burritos, this isn't how it's supposed to be, go to Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Mexico, you'll get Burritos there!!" was shouted sky high from every corner. Well, now we've got one and it's fresh and home-made. It's situated right in the business district of downtown, outside two major buildings housing two equally major companies, so I'm sure business is booming. Who doesn't love a bit of burrito with your double espresso!

'Everything is made from scratch' is scrawled upon the side of the cart and the menu and the choices are exactly what you'd expect from a street cart. Maybe 6 items with 3 choices of meat, Neil chose the smaller $4 burrito with long cooked shredded pork with lime. He liked the fact it was all meat, which he said was tasty and spicy with a citrus kick from the lime which added freshness and tang.

I chose a burrito bowl with the shredded beef with chipotle chili. This was basically a burrito without the tortilla, (yes, you know my stupid, sorry predicament by now). I didn't consider how much rice is usually in a burrito, so Neil had to help me with that. The meat was sort of stewed, cooked long enough to shred well into long stringy pieces. (I was so relieved I hadn't chosen the chicken, as long stringy chicken turns my stomach). The chipotle gave the meat a nice, smoky chili flavour although I wish I had chosen the spicy hot option of salsa to give it an extra zing. The server asked what strength of salsa I would like while literally beginning to squeeze the medium on, I guess they get some pretty predictable people (and know that Canadians can't handle the hot stuff like Mexicans). The salad was a nice touch with homemade guacamole that was still bright green and fresh tasting, maybe they make it to order. Overall, one of the better carts and I'm sure very popular.



Update : Special on Friday 3rd June 2011 : Beef enchiladas with red and green mole sauces, corn salad and rice and beans.


No comments: