Tuesday 14 December 2010

Spaghetti with wine, Mascapone and truffles


I wanted to share the recipe I just created with you, not least because it was delicious and beautiful, but also because I am so relieved that I finally managed to use the Seattle truffle to its best advantage. Unfortunately, my camera's limitations, artificial light at night and my own shortcomings as a photographer all add to a very poor photograph that does not do the dish any justice. I could have spent longer trying to get the perfect image, but to be honest, I was more interested in eating the creation and could wait no longer. Pasta should be eaten pronto anyway. The recipe is at the bottom of the page, I am very proud of this and really enjoyed the creaminess of the Mascapone coupled with the alcoholic tang of the wine and the nutty cheese, and, of course, the almost indescribable taste of fresh black summer truffles.

The most beautiful pink hue was given some interest with the addition of saffron strands which gave a subtle swirl of orange here and there.




The truffle. Chocolate-y, mushroom-y, floral, herbal. How many adjectives have been used to describe its mystery? 



Recipe: Pasta with wine and Mascapone sauce with truffle
3/4 cup rose wine (I used white Merlot)
1 clove garlic, peeled and left whole
pinch of saffron strands
2 tbsp Mascapone 
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp butter
freshly ground black pepper
Spaghetti for two
1 small black summer truffle, sliced thinly

Start by placing the wine and garlic clove in a medium saucepan and simmer over gentle heat for about 10 minutes.

Add the mascapone, saffron and salt and simmer until the sauce is very thick. Remove from the heat.

Cook your spaghetti until al dente, drain and place back into the saucepan, leaving a few scant drops of water clinging to it. 

Add the butter, a good grating of black pepper and 1/2 the Parmesan and mix well. 
Add the sauce and place on a very gentle heat to warm through.

Serve with the rest of the Parmesan and sprinkle the truffle over the plates.


Lunch time Quesadillas


I often find lunchtime inspirational if I am at home. I don't watch much TV in the day, but if I do, it is usually the Food Network which gets me hungry for food and hungry to do something creative in the kitchen. More often than not this will include a poke around the fridge to see what needs using and lunch develops itself from the  necessity to nourish myself and use up some things that may go to waste.

The quesadillas above are a standby with endless variations I prepare if I have some low carb tortillas to hand. I love the way they are crisp on the outside with meltingly soft cheese and some fresh, bright tastes inside.

Recipe: My Tuesday Quesadillas
2 tortillas
1 egg fried or microwaved for 1 minute.
1/2 red and green bell pepper, seeded and sliced thinly
8 small tomatoes, halved
6 large leaves of basil, torn into shreds
6 olives, sliced thinly
1/2 cup grated cheese (I used Asiago, cheddar and feta) Use whatever you have, a melt-y cheese is good.
2 tbsp tomatillo salsa
2 tbsp sour cream

On the first tortilla, sprinkle over 1/2 the cheese, making sure you spread it out to the edges.

Place the egg on top, followed by the tomatoes, peppers, basil and olives.

Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and again spread out well to the edges.
Place the 2nd tortilla on top and press down.

Place the tortilla on a baking sheet and place under the grill (broiler) until one side is crisp and brown. 

You need to turn the quesadilla over which I find easiest by removing it to a plate. placing another plate on top and turning both plates over. You know have the uncooked side uppermost and can place this back on the baking sheet and grill until crisp. Remove the quesadilla from the grill and press down again to try and make it stick together through the grated cheese. (It doesn't matter if it doesn't really stick, you can eat it with a knife and fork like I did today).
Serve with the sour cream and salsa.
 


No comments: