Sunday 30 January 2011

A new Asian supermarket and some succulent roast pork - Chinese style!


I always get excited when I see an ethnic supermarket, whether it be Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai or Spanish. Maybe it's the lack of these multi cultural giants in my home town or maybe it's my love of the discovery of a new ingredient, but whatever it is, I always want to peek inside. The new one at the moment is called Osaka, part of the Chinese T&T supermarket chain. It only opened two months ago and is huge, state of the art and chock full of exciting things from all parts of Asia such as double dark soy sauce (used in making steamed barbecue pork buns), roast pig and duck and many South East Asian ingredients like galangal, lemon grass and Thai basil. It's really quite cheap too which is always a good thing.

  
Thai curries just wouldn't be the same without some authenticity.


 74c each. Is there anything more to say? (That's right, I use packet mixes, have you tried making a Thai curry paste - yes, it's fun but I don't always have the time).


Masman or Mussaman curry is my favourite. It has Indian influences and therefore more spices to give it an earthier, meatier taste. I ate one in Thailand which was so good I told the sour-faced server that I really enjoyed it. I may have been mistaken but I think the shadow of a smile passed over her face.


So, 'roast pig'. I ate some still hot from the spit with the crackling crispy and salty and brought the rest home to make a stir-fry for lunch today using some vegetables and sauces and Japanese pickles to add crunch.


These bottles seem to breed if left long enough at the back of the fridge until you find yourself over run with an entire new condiment community. Here we have shredded bamboo shoots in chili oil, sesame and soy dressing and the ubiquitous and versatile Sriracha sauce. They will do as the stir fry seasoning. 




 I had mine without rice and added some Japanese pickled cucumbers on top. Recipe at bottom.


Recipe: Roast pork stir fried with vegetables and chili soy sauce.
1 tbsp peanut oil
100g roast pork Chinese style
1/4 cup shredded cabbage
1/2 yellow pepper, seeded and sliced
4 radishes, sliced thinly
5 mushrooms, sliced
8 green beans, topped and tailed and boiled for 2 minutes in the microwave
1 tbsp Sriracha sauce
1 tbsp soy and sesame sauce (or 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tsp sesame sauce)
1 tsp bamboo shoots in chili oil (optional)
1 tsp pickled Japanese cucumbers (optional)
cooked rice for two.


Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok over high heat until hot and add the cabbage, mushrooms, radishes and pepper. Stir fry for a few moments until the veg are soft.
Add the pork and green beans and continue to stir fry to heat through.
Add the Sriracha and soy sesame sauces and stir well.
Serve on rice with the optional pickles and bamboo shoots on top.


Click on the picture to get more information on this great sauce.


No comments: