Wednesday 12 January 2011

An open breakfast sandwich to outdo McDonalds and salmon and prawn linguine


When low carb bread is in the freezer, it seems to burn a hole in the appliance, begging to be let out. It shouts at me whenever I open the door; "I'm here, don't forget about me!" Because, inevitably, I do. Yesterday morning, after a very inspiring peek inside the fridge, I let the bread free. The smoked Prosciutto, eggs, mushrooms and cheese looked at me eagerly, so, a breakfast sandwich was born. 
I took out the frying pan and drizzled in some olive oil, let it warm up and then cracked an egg into one side and 4 sliced mushrooms in the other. After frying the egg until lacy and crispy on the edges and turned over, squashing down the yolk to get a nice squidgy texture, I removed the egg and continued cooking the mushrooms until the juices began to run and then dried up as the mushrooms shrank and intensified in flavour. One slice of my bread was toasted and then topped with the egg, 2 slices of smoked Prosciutto, the mushrooms and a few slices of nutty Rathtrevor cheese. This was then placed under the grill until the cheese began to melt. A light sprinkling of dried oregano and a breakfast sandwich to rival any restaurant or fast food joint was complete.


The smoked Prosciutto is definitely being used in lots of different ways.


I received my shipment of low carb pastas, pizza bases and tortillas from Toronto yesterday. It felt like Christmas even though the box wasn't wrapped in festive paper and I knew what was in it, still, pretty exciting.

These are the prawns. Colossal they're called

I decided to set about immediately using some of the pasta and decided it was time to use some of that Sockeye salmon still sitting in the freezer. I made salmon, prawn and rocket linguine.



Neil tucking in to his pasta. It's quite amusing to watch him eat pasta as he stubbornly insists on using his knife and fork as though he's eating meat and two veg. It seems almost a hindrance to watch him cut it up into bite sized pieces, I'm sure he'd find it much easier to just use the fork and spoon technique, invented by the Italians and adopted by nearly everyone except him.


Recipe at bottom of post


Recipe: Salmon and prawn linguine

1/2 side Sockeye or other salmon, broken into bite sized chunks.
5 large, raw prawns
1 onion, peeled and chopped finely
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped finely
6 mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 tbsp capers
1/4 cup dry Vermouth
1 large tbsp Philadelphia cream cheese
1 tbsp finely chopped dill and oregano
salt and pepper
1 tsp oil
1 tsp butter (I used herb, caper and lemon butter from my local market)
linguine for two

Place a large pan of water onto boil.
Meanwhile, make the sauce.
Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and garlic over medium heat until soft.
Add the mushrooms and salmon and fry for a few moments until the salmon looks almost cooked and the mushrooms are starting to soften.
Add the Vermouth and gently cook for about 5 minutes, then add the cream cheese and stir well. Turn the heat down to low and add the prawns.

When the water for the pasta is boiling, add about 2 tsp salt and the linguine, cook until al dente (a little bite still).

Add the capers, herbs and salt and pepper to taste to the sauce, drain the pasta and add to the pan with the sauce. Stir together, make sure the prawns are cooked and serve with 1/2 tsp butter on top of each plate.

A nice little combination of sweet prawn and salmon with the 'meaty substance' of onions and mushrooms and the piquancy of the capers. I didn't use cheese, I know it's frowned upon in Italian connoisseur circles, usually I wouldn't care about any of that, but, for once, I agree and don't think it actually adds anything to pasta with seafood sauces.

No comments: