Monday 25 April 2011

A lesson in eating stinging nettles and Farmer's market curry


I was excited to go the farmer's market this week. I knew that an absence of only two weeks at this time of year would show a big change in the produce available. There were greens aplenty, ranging from mini carrots and radishes to lots of little plug plants to buy and grow. There were peppers, tomatoes and eggplants, as well as the usual fruits and squashes. I was disappointed not to see any fava beans, but maybe it's still a little early. I bought a bag of mixed greens which contained stinging nettles, only realising they were present after they stung my little finger. I had forgotten how painful they can be, an angry white bump and redness appearing there almost instantly. So now I had a challenge. A little intimidated by the immense stinging power they possess, I could hardly imagine how anyone could possibly eat them.

I remember seeing a TV program with the eccentric and daring Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, where he visited a small village during their annual food festival and took part in one of their more crazy competitions, raw nettle eating. He followed suit of the other competitors, grabbing the nettles from the back (without gloves), stripping the long stalks of the prickly leaves and shoving them straight into his mouth to chew and swallow while raw. It turns out this an actual World Championship and you can watch this craziness for yourself here:


I didn't eat the nettles raw. I approached them with extreme trepidation even after 2 minutes of being boiled in water on high in the microwave. The stings were still visible but after I managed to find the courage to touch them and then eat them, I was surprised to find that the sting was completely removed and the nettles tasted a little like spinach. I used them in a Thai curry, made from all the vegetables I had bought that morning and a packet of yellow curry sauce also picked up from a very nice Thai chef at the market.




Blanching or boiling for a few moments renders the stings completely harmless and the vicious vegetable becomes a pleasant green to use like any other.


Recipe : Farmer's market curry
1 bag mixed greens including stinging nettles
1 bell pepper, seeded and sliced finely
1 small can water chestnuts, sliced finely
1/2 cup raw prawns
1 cup yellow curry sauce or 2 tbsp yellow curry paste and 1 cup coconut milk.
(The sauce I bought at the market was ready to heat and serve).

To garnish (optional, as some of these may be difficult to find)
1 tsp bamboo shoots in chili oil
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp fried garlic or shallots
1 tsp chopped peanuts

Heat the curry sauce or coconut milk and curry paste together in a pan over medium heat.
Add the pepper, water chestnuts and greens and stir well. Reduce heat and simmer until the greens are slightly wilted. (There's no need to blanch the nettles first as this cooking will be sufficient to take away the sting, just watch your hands)!
Add the prawns and cook gently until they are pink and cooked through.
Serve with the garnish if you like and some rice, bread or salad.


No comments: