Tuesday 2 August 2011

Spanish and Italian ways with tomatoes



Spanish : Pan de tomate. 
I have some Spanish students at the moment. We have brief discussions about food, never enough to satisfy my curiosity. Perhaps I need to invent a speaking activity to get them talking about the cuisines of their country. Two birds, one stone and everything. I did manage to get a conversation about tomatoes and tapas brewing and inevitably we arrived at this incredibly simple snack.



Simplicity seems to scream for the best and freshest ingredients and this is no exception. What is essentially a tomato squished onto toast is incredible. Neil and I first tried it in it's native home land; Catalonia, Barcelona to be exact where it was served with slices of nutty Manchego cheese and wafer thin slivers of sweet Jamon de Iberico. I asked my student, Sandra to give me some tips for preparing the best Pan de Tomate. She is a vegan, which is very unusual for a Spaniard, but can happily eat this, as she does often as a snack or for breakfast. Recipe at bottom of post


The Italian way was as bruschetta. Lemon cucumbers being on sale at the farmers' market always tempt me. I can't say the taste is superior or even as good as a regular English cuke but they are cute and different which oddly seems to be the only prerequisite I need sometimes. I tried growing these once with disastrous results. The tiny plants withering before they even had a chance to get into their stride. I think you really need a greenhouse to help these flourish on the Canadian West coast.



For my Bruschetta, I chop up some tomatoes and cucumbers and season well, adding some finely chopped basil to bring out the herbal qualities. The toasted bread provides a perfect crunchy base on which to pile the toppings, although my bread was somewhat shy of crispy, my impatience meaning I only toasted one side, so was left with a soggy bottom. (Isn't that close to a fictional band name)?


Like many people who regularly look at food blogs, I am sometimes overcome with photo envy. The most famous blogs feature photos to make you gasp with astonishment at their creativity, styling and camera skills. Recently, I have been seeing many jaw-dropping images of zucchini flowers, delicately positioned on top of tarts and quiches in their entirety. I usually think 'why didn't I think of that' and look forlornly at my own chopped up blossoms or failed stuffed attempts where the flower literally falls apart in my hands. This is my homage to more creative minds than my own, although the blossoms are again almost completely hidden.

Recipe : Pan de Tomate
for 2
2 slices of bread, preferably with a nice crispy crust and a soft, spongy interior
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped in half
1 very ripe tomato, cut in half
A drizzle of Extra Virgin olive oil
salt to taste

Toast your bread under a grill (broiler) or even on a ridged grill pan. You want to toast it on either side to get it well and truly browned.
Rub the clove of garlic over both pieces of bread, (Sandra told me this is optional). You will be surprised how much garlic juice will be released.
Sprinkle the bread with salt to taste and then rub a half of tomato on each piece, squeezing down to release as much juice and flesh as possible. 
Drizzle with the olive oil and serve. 
I added some black pepper, but Sandra told me this is not usual. Also, I sprinkled the salt on top of the tomatoes. Sandra puts it on the bread followed by the tomato and oil. I don't suppose it really matters in which order you do it. Garlic, oil, salt, tomato or garlic, tomato, salt. oil or garlic, salt, tomato, oil.

Recipe : Bruschetta (my version, NOT authentic)
For 2 
2 pieces of Italian bread, such as Ciabatta
1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
1 large ripe tomato, diced finely
1/8 English cucumber, peeled and finely diced
1 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt and a few twists of freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp fresh basil, minced

Grill (broil) or fry the bread until crispy and toasted on both sides and rub with the cut garlic as for the pan de tomate.
Mix all other ingredients in a bowl and pile on top of the bread. Eat straight away.

Recipe : Omelet with zucchini blossoms
1 tsp oil and 1 tsp butter
1/2 yellow and green zucchini, sliced into thin slices
1 tbsp fresh chopped fennel or dill
1 shallot, peeled and finely diced
1 handful kale, shredded
Salt and pepper
3 eggs
2 zucchini blossoms, cut in half length ways
1/2 cup grated cheese

Heat the oil and butter over medium heat in a pan and add the zucchini and shallot. Reduce the heat to low and saute until they are soft. 
Add the dill or fennel and kale and continue to cook until the kale has wilted. Season to taste.
Beat the eggs until they are well mixed and pour into the pan. Place the zucchini blossoms on the top and then cover everything with the cheese. Continue to cook for a moment or two and then place the pan under a grill (broiler) for the cheese to brown and crisp. Serve.


No comments: