Sunday 16 March 2014

Sumptuous fall apart ribs with beer



I've eaten some terrible ribs in my time. They are always incredibly tender, but so often coated in a sugar-laden gloopy excuse for barbecue sauce. I guess that's what people want and I admit that sweetness in food is something desirable, but I'm starting to realise that sugar is bad, very, very bad. As well as the WHO issuing a statement that we should cut sugar consumption in half only this week, I recently read this article posted on Facebook, which claims that even agave nectar is evil, just another form of chemical processes wrapped up in a clever marketing campaign. Really, there is so much information out there, how do we ever know what to truly believe?


Cue these ribs. Yes, they have beer as an ingredient, (not to mention honey), not exactly a healthy alternative to sugar, (Being full of the stuff), but I didn't say I was completely reformed, I'm finding that so difficult. What they do have is a rich, glossy sauce with a perfect balance of sweet, herbal and savoury. Yes, the oil content was high and I would probably reduce it by a quarter if I was to make them again, but they came from this book, one of my two cookbook purchases from Britain. (I had a 5 pound off voucher if I spent more than 15 and was determined to use it). I can't wait to make more from this wonderful book.


Recipe : Costilla de Cerdo a la Cerveza (Beer - braised ribs)
Adapted from Tapas Revolution by Omar Allibhoy

50ml olive oil, (or as I mentioned earlier, you could easily reduce this)
1.5kg pork spare ribs
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
100g chorizo, chopped
100g bacon, chopped (I omitted this)
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp sweet pimenton, (smoked paprika)
1 bay leaf
4 sprigs thyme
2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
330ml lager

Place the oil in a large, heavy pan over high heat. Add the ribs and fry for 5 minutes to colour golden brown.
Add the onion, garlic and chorizo and fry for a few minutes until golden and beginning to caramelise.
Add the honey, pimenton, bay leaf, thyme and potatoes and cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Pour in the beer, reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 45 minutes by which time the ribs will be fall apart tender and the lager mellowed to produce a glorious sauce which should be mopped up with bread.


You may also like:

http://itsdelicious2.blogspot.ca/2012/07/memphis-style-baby-back-ribs.html
Memphis style ribs

http://itsdelicious2.blogspot.ca/2013/09/recipe-yucatecan-pork-this-was.html
Yucetecan pork

http://itsdelicious2.blogspot.ca/2014/03/beer-braised-short-ribs.html
Beer braised short ribs

No comments: