Sunday 6 February 2011

A really good Minestrone soup for a cold night



Look at these incredible beets. Bought from a supermarket's organic aisle. I buy a lot of vegetables from the supermarket. I know some people think this is not appropriate behaviour from someone who loves cooking. I know we should all be scoping out the best farm shops and local, sustainable producers and I do try my best. I regularly go to the winter market, Granville Island public market and a farm shop in the sticks, but I, like most people, I imagine, find the convenience of the supermarket very useful. We go to Lytton, a town in BC about 3 hours drive from Vancouver every September for a river festival. Part of the attraction is a tiny local farmer's market in the main street. I recognized a producer there from the market I attend Downtown Vancouver in the Summer. He told me that he charges triple in Vancouver compared to anywhere else because people will pay it for good, organic produce. On the one hand I applaud his tenacity and entrepreneur spirit, but on the other I can't help but be a little miffed that we're getting so ripped off. If we're willing to pay these prices, are we the fools? 

The answer to this would be to grow your own stuff of course, although space restrictions, lack of sunlight etc. can be a bit of a hindrance.



Nothing initiates a good fridge clean out like Minestrone soup. Anything can and should be used to create a meal in a bowl substantial enough to be called dinner and tasty enough to evoke thoughts of Italy. Here, I've started with some Wiltshire bacon, a back bacon from England bought at my local 'cheapo' supermarket.



Depending on your disposition, you may find the above picture an inspiration for healthy, wholesome food or, if you're like most men including my husband, you inwardly sigh and lament the loss of some 'proper' food in lieu of this 'rabbit stuff'. I think he feels force fed at times, commenting that: "I know it's good for me", when prompted as to whether he likes his dinner.








Flax crackers used as croutons added an element of toastiness, nuttiness and crunch.

Recipe : Minestrone soup with bacon, pasta and lots of vegetables
4 rashers bacon, chopped (try to get hold of some unsmoked if you can)
olive oil
1 onion, chopped finely
1 stick celery, sliced finely
1 carrot, sliced finely
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup broccolini
1 cup spinach leaves
4 cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup green beans, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup peas
4 mushrooms, sliced
4 cups water (or chicken stock)
1 tbsp chicken stock paste or 1 chicken stock cube
salt and pepper
1/2 cup pasta such as penne or macaroni
2 tbsp grated cheese (I used cheddar)
flax crackers for croutons (optional)

Heat the oil in a heavy pan and fry the bacon until slightly crispy. 
Add the carrot, celery, bay leaf, onion and garlic and fry on low heat, covered, for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
Add the cabbage, broccolini, spinach, tomatoes, green beans and mushrooms and fry together until they are soft and the spinach well wilted. 
Add the stock or water and paste or stock cubes and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes. 
Add the pasta and cook until it's soft but with a little bite left. Add the peas and cook for a few more minutes. 
Serve in big bowls with some croutons and cheese and sprinkle with some paprika and black pepper if you like. Some crusty bread to dip in would be a very good idea.

Adapt this recipe to whatever you have available.





No comments: